This recipe is so simple and yet so delicious! Here again, the quality of the ingredients is all important and the olive oil used contributes significantly to the result.
- 4 Atlantic salmon cutlets
- ¼ cup Nuggetty Creek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of one lime or lemon
- Coarse pepper or seasoned pepper
Tomato & Basil Salsa
- 2 – 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons Nuggetty Creek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons torn or shredded basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon or lime zest
- 6 Kalamata olives, slivered
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Little salt
- Fresh basil sprig (for garnish)
In a shallow dish mix together ¼ cup Nuggetty Creek Extra Virgin Olive Oil, add the lime or lemon juice with a little pepper. Place the salmon cutlets into the marinade, leave for about 30 minutes, turning the cutlets once or twice.
Meantime, make up the salsa by dicing the peeled tomatoes, mix with the torn basil leaves. Nuggetty Creek Extra Virgin Olive Oil, citrus zest, slivered olives, salt, pepper and chilli. Toss together and leave to allow flavours to blend.
To serve, gill or pan fry the cutlets until only just cooked through, maybe 3 – 4 minutes per side. Transfer to warmed plates, spoon over the salsa garnish with basil sprig and serve at once.
Steamed baby potatoes served with a drizzle of olive oil and pepper and salt, together with a green salad and shaved cucumber or zucchini slices are a nice accompaniment. A country style bread – coarse textured and chewy – would be great with this.
A chilled rose or dry white wine would also complement this dish very nicely!